Monday, December 10, 2007

Week 2 of the Christmas extravaganza.

Ok, maybe I need to take a day or two off (even though I can’t really afford to use the vacation time) in December this year.  I honestly have no idea when I’m going to finish the Christmas shopping and if weekends continue at this pace I’ll be completely gone by January.  However exhausting, the weekend was still fun.

I started off Saturday morning with the three hour pre-performance choir rehearsal for the Gloria – great fun, and SOOOOOO much better than the Wednesday night rehearsal.  I actually began to have hope that we wouldn’t completely embarrass ourselves on Sunday. Mr. Fabulous took the Cutest Thing to Chinese School in the morning, followed by a visit to his office and lunch with his partner and her family.  They got home just in time for me to bundle the C.T. in the car for a quick car nap on the way to go to see Disney’s Princesses on Ice.  Oh, my word.  I’ve never seen so many little princesses in training in one place in my life.  It was amazing.  The C.T. adored it.

While we were there, I learned a very valuable lesson about consumerism.  I planned to buy the C.T. a little gadget or trinket, assuming that she’d be completely gaga over all of the princess paraphernalia for sale at the arena.  And you know what – she wasn’t!  She was delighted to be wearing her princess dress, overjoyed to see her friends and watch the ice skating – but all she really wanted to buy was a snack.  And the surprising thing was that I was a little disappointed that she didn’t want a new gizmo.  I think I tried too hard to not do what my brother did when we took my niece and nephew to the circus a couple of years ago.  There was a particular toy my niece wanted that my brother refused to buy her.  He chose to buy a different toy that would last longer, even though it wasn’t what she wanted.  I remember my niece's disappointment, and I remember thinking that I would let my children choose the souvenirs that we would buy (as long as they were within the price range I had set for myself) because choosing which cheap plastic toy you want to take home is part of the fun of going to a big event.  So, during the break, I was all ready to go out and wander the concessions stands in search of the perfect toy that would bring sparkles to her eyes - even though she was already pleased as punch with the whole event and even though all she wanted to do was sit and watch the zamboni driver.  Fortunately, common sense kicked in, and I realized that there was absolutely no point to buying something just for the sake of buying it.  So we sat and watched the zamboni and had a fabulous time.

The rest of the weekend was filled with snow, another party, two performances of the Gloria (which went pretty darn well), sledding in the open space behind our house, hot chocolate, and a failed attempt to put up the Christmas tree after having lost the directions last year.  A thoroughly satisfying December weekend.  Can I go to sleep now?

No comments: